Wednesday, February 8, 2012

K's Elsie Cardigan

A new cardigan for K! 

I came across some "new to me" yarn at Teaselwick Wool------ Berroco Remix.  Made from 100% recycled fibers (mix of  30% Nylon, 27% Cotton, 24% Acrylic, 10% Silk, 9% Linen).  Lovely, soft, and full of interesting bits of texture.




I wasn't sure what I was going to make with it.... but I knew that a new little sweater was definitely in K's future!   (Did I mention machine washable????) 

Enter this lovely little pattern, off of Ravelry- The Elsie Cardigan Pattern.  Look at that darling crochet edging!



My gauge swatch with size 7 needles was a tad loose (4.5 rather than 4) but this was a zero-ease cardigan, so I pushed ahead anyway, anticipating that it could use a couple of inches.  Also, I ended up adding several rows to the bottom of this… it is definitely a very form fitting cardigan!

The end result?  Adorable, soft little sweater for K to wear over just about anything (ended up using just over one ball... had to order another one, lol!)  Love the crochet edge detail… very easy, and it really adds to this simple little sweater.

Now for the cons:  Several reviewers mentioned this pattern was "clear and easy to follow", and I'm going to have to disagree.  True... I've only been knitting for just over a year now, but I have made close to 12 baby/kid/toddler/child sweaters, vests, and cardigans in that time (including several colorwork/ fair isle versions) and this was by far the least clear pattern for me.  In fact, I thought of this pattern as more of a "first make the sweater, then add edging" commentary.  But, that's just my two cents, lol!

Also, although the yarn is very soft, with interesting bits of texture, I noticed that it started to bother my hands after working with if for about 3-4 days (and I’m not allergic to anything). It was giving me some red/irritated spots where it rubbed over my tension finger, and I haven’t had that with any other yarn…..Kind of strange!  Anyway, onto the pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment