Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Beaded Holden Shawlette

Well... the time has come to try my hand at my very first shawl (or shawlette in this case, lol)
I came upon a lovely shawl done up using this yarn at The Wool Company in Bandon, OR on my last quilt shop hop.


and I saw the Holden Shawlette pattern on Ravelry by Mindy Wilkes.. it seemed like a wonderful match! 

This shawl starts with a garter tab cast on, and I found a great tutorial on how to start this shawl here.

There is also a Holden KAL at Craftsy with great step by step instructions, in case you are interested!

After I finished the stockinette portion, and the first repeat of the lace, I decided to add size 6 seed beads in between the yarn over’s… and it looks lovely! I used a size 12 (1.00 mm) crochet hook and Blue Moon JAS #10911287 beads. I was able to follow the pattern by completing 2 1/2 repeats of the lace.. and I might have been able to squeak in another 1/2 lace repeat out of the yarn, but decided to play it safe.

I had never done a knit pico bind off before, and I found this video to be very helpful (wow, that took forever!)  I finished the bind off yesterday morning, and soaked it in aquae Soak wool wash for 1 hour. I bought a foam camping pad from goodwill for a couple of dollars to use as a blocking board (not bad). This was my first time blocking something (other than steam blocking) and I’m sure I have a lot to learn, but it did open out the lace nicely, and shows off the beads.

Then, I let the shawlette dry overnight… love it! Very lacy, soft, and the beads give it a wonderful weight and drape. I may be hooked, lol!  The last two shots are modeled by my beautiful daughter, S. (who I dragged outside during a brief sunbreak so that I could get pictures of the finished object!)






1 comment: