Monday, April 9, 2012

Itty Bitty Cabled Set

Yet another itty-bitty baby set... this time with cables! I finished the Little Owl Set with enough time to make a gift for another upcoming baby shower. I still have several skeins of the Martha Stewart Crafts Extra Soft Wool Blend in the 506 Igloo, and after making a gazillion baby sweaters lately, I wanted something with some interesting bits. So, I decided to make this little sweater that has been languishing in my Ravelry queue for ages.... the Bitty Cabled Cardigan by Heather Cabanas



My gauge with size 7 needles was 4.5 st/ 6 row per inch (as called for in the pattern). I also used the ”cabling without a cable needle” technique that I like from grumperina - really speeds up those cables, when you aren't constantly sliding them to a cabling needle.

After steam blocking, my finished measurements were as follow: Body - 9” across, Arms are 4” from underarm, Height (from collar) 8”.

I also altered the pattern slightly so that I ended up with 5 buttonholes instead of the 4 in the pattern.

What a darling little cardigan! So, with gauge, this little sweater really is just that… little! This seems like a good newborn size (my youngest is a year… but this sweater is a good fit for all of the little onesies I have saved in her closet, lol!).

To round out the set, I added the Bitty Cabled Hat also by Heather Cabanas. After reviewing the notes on this pattern, it seemed to run a tad small, so I added another 6 stitches to the cast-on (to account for another cable). This was the only alteration I made, though, in terms of size.  Finished hat fit a 4 month old snugly, so I am happy with the size.

Finally, I decided to go with the Bitty Booties by Natalie Larson. These little booties have a knitted casing with some hidden elastic to make them as kick-proof as possible (as a mother of four - I assure you that this is a good thing!). Here's the link to my set on Ravelry









No comments:

Post a Comment