Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lovely Breezeway

I wanted to try a crescent shaped shawl, and came upon this little gem (FREE!) on Ravelry, "All About Love" by Sylvia Bo Bilvia.



However, I couldn't afford a very expensive luxury yarn (like Madeline Tosh.... which is what I would have LOVED to knit it out of, lol), especially since this particular shawl calls for a worsted weight (which means you need 2 skeins to get the yardage..)  Soooo, I decided to try Berroco Vintage (50% Acrylic  40% Wool 10% Nylon), and I went with the color "Breezeway".

This really was a quick little knit.  You start with the lace portion on the bottom, and then use a series of short rows to shape the shawl.  After a soak, and blocking overnight, I was left with this beauty:





So... my verdict?… love the color, but I am not happy with the yarn choice. It just didn’t block out the way I wanted, and I guess I’ll have to chalk it up to the wool/acrylic blend.  Don’t get me wrong…. perfectly wearable, and very lovely, but not the drape I was looking for, and even though it has a very stretchy bind off and a garter band… there is still some tendency for it to curl at the top.
As for the pattern.. very nice! I love the lace edging, and it was a easy pattern to memorize (and intuitive as well). The pattern also comes with directions on how to block your finished object, which were handy (but did contain some profanity).




No comments:

Post a Comment